The Defence Command Paper Refresh (DCP23), which is published today (18 July), sets out a plan to deliver a credible warfighting force that will keep UK on track to act as a global heavyweight both now and in the future.
Key parts of the Command paper are as follows:
- An additional £2.5 billion investment into our stockpiles and munitions, on top of the increased investment committed at the Autumn Statement
- A Global Response Force that enables the UK to ‘get there first’, bringing together our deployed and high-readiness forces, and drawing on capabilities from all domains
- How Defence will become a science and technology superpower, enhancing our capabilities in fields such as robotics, human augmentation, directed energy weapons and advanced materials, to gain the edge on the battlefield
- An improved surge capacity through our Strategic Reserve, built around the ex-regular reserve forces to add further depth and expertise in time of crisis
- A new alliance with industry, engaging much earlier in strategic conversations and building in greater financial headroom to respond to changing needs
- A new employment model and skills framework, increasing fluidity between the military, the Civil Service and industry, while offering a more compelling and competitive incentivisation package
- A further £400 million to modernise accommodation that our service families deserve, which is essential for the operational effectiveness of our personnel.